Monday, September 19, 2011

PHOTOGRAPHIC THERAPY


Canon EOS REBEL XS, Promaster 19-35 lens @ 19mm, ISO 100, f/11, 8 sec.
  I know it seems like the only thing I take photos of is waterfalls and cascades. There are a couple of reasons why I take so many shots like this.
  One reason is that moving water is so fascinating. No cascade or waterfall look or flow the same. You can take consecutive shots of the same spot without moving the camera or changing the settings and you will have 2 different images.The surroundings change from season to season. This combined with how different it will look when the amount of water in the stream  changes makes for never ending amount of variables that contribute to endless possibilities of images.
  The other reason I love photographing moving water is the therapeutic resonance it makes. I just simply love the sound of rushing water. I've spent freezing mornings perched on a rock right next to a raging Tellico River that was so relaxing I could've just curled up and took a nap. Whether I get any quality photos or not, I can spend a morning at a waterfall or stream and just be relaxed for the rest of the day.
  Same goes for the ocean waves crashing on to a beach. It's a different noise, but still just as therapeutic and relaxing.
  Today's post exemplifies the post. It may not be a jaw dropping shot of a waterfall, but this small cascade was nestled up under these Rhododendrons and it just appealed to me. The stream formed an eddy out in front of it with an 8 second exposure just helping to make the scene very calming and smooth.
  So if you ever get stressed out, go find the nearest river, stream, or waterfall and take in some photographic therapy. It works for me. :-)

5 comments:

  1. You're right moving water is therapeutic. Beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Jer. We all have our outlets and it's important to take advantage of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot man. I really have to agree with you. I feel the same way spending mornings by the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzers here, Jerry.... I love your photo, it looks just like silk to me, but your blog post as well is very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so agree! LOVE the sound!
    and LOVE this pic!!

    ReplyDelete