Saturday, December 17, 2011

LOW LEVELS

Canon EOS REBEL XS, Promaster 19-35 lens @19mm, ISO 100, f/20, 60 sec., ND8, ND400, Polarizer
  With daylight savings time in effect, getting off work at 5:00 pm makes it very difficult to take any pictures afterwards.
  Thursday provided enough light & darkness for me to experiment with my new ND fader filter. This Neutral Density filter adjusts from ND2 - ND400. ND400 is equivalent to 9 stops so it makes for some great light blockage.
  The evening skies on Thursday were very overcast with a new front moving in. The clouds however, were moving at a rapid pace across the sky. If I could block the light enough, I might get some 1 minute to 4 minute exposures and create some neat blurring effects.
  I stacked my ND8 filter along with my polarizing filter to add some extra blockage and walked right out of my work to the lake front. During the winter the TVA lowers the lake levels on Tellico Lake. Don't know why, they just do. These lower levels allow you to see old tree stumps and other objects that normally would be covered with water on this man-made lake.
  Right next to the shore is this old tree stump that I have photographed before. This time I climbed down next to it and was able to expose the old roots  on the dry ground. I framed the shot in the direction the clouds were traveling which also included the company's dock, which I have photographed several times. It did provide with some reflection in the shallow water though.
  I thought I would use a very long shutter of 3-4 minutes but started with a 1 minute exposure. Turned out to be a good idea because I liked the 1 minute shot so much I didn't even tried a longer shot.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot Jerry. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful image, and interesting to hear how you did it. I have never though of using my ND filter in a low-light situation, but perhaps I'll give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done. That sky is magical

    ReplyDelete