Friday, August 31, 2012

CHALLENGES

ISO 100, f/20, 1/4 second, 19mm
  I've taken numerous images of Bald River Falls in the Cherokee National Forest. Today I had the day off and wandered into the Forest and found myself right back at Bald River Falls. The water levels were low, which is normal for this time of year, and the green moss on the rocks was showing through bright and beautiful.
  Then I ran into a challenge. I wanted to photograph the falls without getting one of the same shots that I have captured before. I could have framed a shot up very easily from a previous location or from up on the bridge that passes in front of the falls. I didn't want a shot that someone else has taken though.
  It is an enormous challenge to find something unique at Bald River Falls. Hundreds of people visit this waterfall in a day's time and take their normal photograph from any of a dozen easily accessible vantage points.
  I chose to wade out into shallow part of the river and find this composition.  The lower water levels allow for easier mobility in the river and also create new smaller cascades downstream that would normally be underneath the flowing water 75% of the year. This small cascade was flowing over this beautiful red rock and between two moss-covered rocks and it was new angle at the falls that I have not shot at lower water flow.
  I am glad that I challenged myself this afternoon and I am very happy with the new composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment